Jennie DiLemmo

Welcome to my blog! I want to share information and experiences that I am having while fighting cancer. Not only do I want my supporters to have updates from me, but I want to make this therapeutic for myself. I'm insistent on being positive during my journey to health, but there are obstacles and moments of sadness. I will be raw and extremely truthful; expect the good, bad, and ugly!
Feel free to comment on anything. Perhaps we will all learn new things, including me, while climbing up the positivity ladder to health!

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Chemo & Christmas

I experienced the beginning of round 2 for chemo the Thursday before Christmas.  I didn't expect the level of fatigue and side-effects from this treatment.  You have a tendency to forget the intensity of other treatments, but it soon became apparent that this round was taking the lead.  Things were not terrible, but I was extremely fatigued and tired and dealt with nausea and indigestion.  It doesn't help things that I'm dealing with radiation side-effects in my nose and mouth as well; I have thick saliva and mucus that is not associated with a cold.  As mentioned in my previous post, I'm on Neurontin for nerve pain, but the dose has increased especially for the night.  I'm thinking that we might have to increase the dose even more since I've been having quite a bit of nerve pain.  Frankly with all these issues that I'm not used to I'm hoping that the chemo is doing something positive.  Most people who succeed typically have to deal with side-effects and pain.  Tomorrow is the last half of round 2; it is the first drug Gemzar with Taxotere.  It is this combo that provides more side-effects and some strange ones like neuropathy, which is more nerve issues!  I guess I'm used to nerve issues at this point :-)
On a positive note and despite side-effects, Christmas was wonderful with my family.  The boys were so excited about Christmas and the gifts.  Braeden, my 3.5 year old, was acting as Santa for quite a few days and was super excited in opening the gifts.  Colton who is almost 9 months is still playing with his new toys and of course likes Braeden's as well!
I have not done this before, but I'm sharing pictures on the blog.  Happy Holidays everyone, hope it was a wonderful time for everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing the pics! Glad you had an awesome Christmas.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete