Jennie DiLemmo

Welcome to my blog! I want to share information and experiences that I am having while fighting cancer. Not only do I want my supporters to have updates from me, but I want to make this therapeutic for myself. I'm insistent on being positive during my journey to health, but there are obstacles and moments of sadness. I will be raw and extremely truthful; expect the good, bad, and ugly!
Feel free to comment on anything. Perhaps we will all learn new things, including me, while climbing up the positivity ladder to health!

Sunday, September 25, 2011

5 Day Update

Based on prior blogs, I have mentioned that I dislike the 5 day treatment.  Frankly, it is a difficult week; however, I did much better this time around.  I did change the schedule so instead of starting at 9AM and waking at 7AM, the appointments were at 10:30 AM.  I did wake early in the beginning of the week and saw the kiddies off to daycare; however, the rest of the week despite being awake I stayed in bed.  The week is really a blur - I don't recall when things happened.  I do remember the extraordinary help from neighbors, but not sure what days they helped.  Despite these oddities, I really felt better than the first time around.  I didn't sleep incessantly during the week and even ended up hanging out with some friends on Friday (I even ate DQ ice cream after vomiting!).  I do experience some vomiting with the 5 day treatment mainly because I don't eat enough.  Generally, if I eat too much or not enough I get sick.  With this treatment, I have no appetite during the week and when I get back to eating regularly I'm a little off - it could be much worse, but I have only vomited once per day.
I now have a CAT scan scheduled for the first week of October.  It makes me quite nervous and I'm not entirely sure that the tumors will be smaller.  The initial CAT scans were done many weeks before the start of chemotherapy and it wouldn't be entirely surprising that there was more growth.  Despite that rationale however; it is important that I hope/wish/pray for the best here!  I do see and feel change with all the sites.  With the cheekbone tumor as things progressed I dealt with more nerve issues - the left size of my tongue and teeth were numb.  The numbness, believe it or not, in that regard is changing - I think it's receding!  My back doesn't seem to be in pain anymore or at least I can't remember when it bothered me.  My stomach is changing, but it still looks rather large unfortunately.  I have two thoughts on this - this tumor started in a post-pregnancy body, which is quite flexible compared to the norm.  I never really had an opportunity to get the body/stomach back to normal - does this mean that the tumor might look larger than in a normal, less flexible body?  I have also heard that there could be an accumulation of fluid, which would also make the tumor seem larger.  Overall, I do think things are changing - I just hope that we will have positive results soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment